Monday 23 July 2012

Surprise!!!

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!


Throughout the days I went through the course, I have to admit that there are lots of "Now I know..." moments. To specifically note down what surprises me throughout the lesson is not easy. I supposed most what what was taught by Dr Yeap do surprises me. Firstly, throughout my learning journey, I have never ever thought that Mathematics or numeracy programme actually consists of not just mathematical skills but life skills as well. After some reflections done, I have to agree that students should not only excel in Mathematics assessment, but being able to communicate and think Mathematically as well.

Im suprised that Mathematics curriculum now focus on "teaching children NOT to be helpless" rather than using drilling method to make children "understand" Mathematics concept and excel in their examinations and tests. I learn the difference in usage of the word "rate" and "ratio". I was shocked that both terms have different meanings. However, i was just thinking, why does the term "teacher to child ratio" was used in child care centres and kindergarten rather than "teacher to child rate"?

I have definitely learn a lot and there are lots of learning point throughout the session with Dr Yeap. I feel that it is important for preschool teachers to attend sessions like this to learn a lot more and discover new things about Mathematics that we do know. I am glad that I am able to learn so much in the short six days session even though I really wish that I could spend more time learning Mathematics teaching strategies with Dr Yeap. Dr Yeap has inspired me to learn more interesting strategies that focus on the truly holistic way of teaching and the process of students' learning rather than the Mathematical content.  

No comments:

Post a Comment