Wednesday 18 July 2012

Number Core

I particularly interested on the topic of Number Core - focusing on quantity, counting and knowing how many. As I was reading it, I found a lot of interesting suggestions and how the lesson should be done to maximize children's learning. I would love to try it out on the preschoolers soon.

Aside from that, I was surprised that subitizing is actually an ability in children. Despite seeing it countless of times in children whom I work with, I never thought that it is an ability that should be recognized and children could master it if he/she is exposed to it and keep practicing the skill. Subitizing is a complex skill that needs to be developed and practiced through experiences with patterned sets (Walle, Karp, Bay-Williams, 2010).


I always wanted to know about this subitizing ability even though I did not know the terms used for it previously. I personally find it interesting as it could SAVE TIME from counting!!!  ^___^ I believe having the ability to subitize will definitely help one to solves certain math problem especially problems with diagrams and images much faster. The learning trajectory for counting is something new for me as well. Even though (through experience), I know the different stages of children in learning how to count, Table 8.1 in the book describes it very precisely with the use of the terminology that helps to explain what I know with much clarity. I now know the description of the different stages in detail and their individual ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment