Sunday 15 July 2012

Exploring Math

Exploring Math? Something that I LOVE a lot. I enjoyed reading this chapter better as I get to explore with the different strategies used to solve a certain problem given in the book. There are times when I thought I could not solve the problem as I have not been doing Math problems for very long. After getting my hands on it, it seems interesting afterall. I had the similar feelings and satisfaction that I had before when i was still in school.

As I was reading the whole chapter, I particularly attracted in this phrase: [E]ngaging in productive struggle is what helps students learn mathematics (Walle, Karp & Bay-Williams, 2010). 


I guess I have really agree on facing productive struggle in order to succeed in Math. Aside from that, I believe that teachers never should stop encouraging students whenever students are struggling in learning Math. With constant support and believe that the students will be able to succeed after learning and going through the productive struggle, students will embrace the process despite the hardship that they might have to go through. As for myself, because of this "productive struggle", I am able to embrace the success and the sense of satisfaction after solving every Math problem with deep understanding. I believe that with deep understandings of Math topics, and constant support from teachers and friends, students will be able to solve Math problems without much difficulties.

The topic talks a lot about the process of learning Mathematics, being proficient in it, as well as the benefits of being proficient in Mathematics. To teach for mathematical proficiency requires a lot of effort (Walle, Karp & Bay-Williams, 2010). Teaching the initial understandings in mathmatical concepts is hard - what's more teaching for proficiency in Mathematics! A lot of efforts need to be done by the teachers and the students as well. However, when success is achieved, students will definitely able to embrace it really well - that is the sense of satisfaction that had stayed with me since I was very young and retain the interest in Math till now.

No comments:

Post a Comment